Another reason why I didn't become a Comp Sci Major

Any general topics go here
Lord Ix

Another reason why I didn't become a Comp Sci Major

Post by Lord Ix » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:22 pm

For those that don't know, the program I've been working on for that past few years runs with a program called ArcGIS. The version I wrote the program for is ArcGIS 9.0. The program also works with ArcGIS 9.1.

Recently, they upgraded to ArcGIS version 9.2. Now my program has problems and won't run. After worring about this, having the grant provide bitching about upgrade issues and cost, and having may users wanting to use it on ArcGIS 9.2, I have discovered the problem:

The new version does not like the use of commons in a folder name.

The previous version didn't have a problem with commons (i use them for time stamps and for soil loss values like 1,23 tonnes for 1.23 tonnes and 12,34 for 12:34pm). Of course, the company doesn't produce a document stating all the changes. I will never see a statement like:

"By the way, since no every uses a common in a folder's name we made sure you can't use it."

My rant is over. Down with computer tech people...
... except for pyro 8)
"Nothing brings out the zest of life in a person like the thought of their impending death." - Johnny, the Homicidal Maniac

Look at all the pretty colors. It's like someone slit the throat of a baby rainbow.

filemaniac
Chaos Pyro
Location: Riding the ever spiraling loop into the depths of doom...

Post by filemaniac » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:33 pm

That's just poor error handling and severe lack of technical documentation...
Would you recognize me? / Call my name or walk on by? / Rain keeps falling, rain keeps falling / Down, down, down...