The Quest that almost wasn't

Any general topics go here
Lord Ix

The Quest that almost wasn't

Post by Lord Ix » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:03 pm

I began my journey where most long quests begin; at the beginning (Buffalo airport). The weather was foggy and damp, and my spirits were the same (didn't want to go). I entered the grand shelter to begin my quest and traversed the many obstacles that delayed me (baggage check, security check point). I finally arrived at my departure point (after 45 minutes). There appeared to many who chose this location at a departure point, and some were not too happy about it (over bookings). I settled in and observed these wayward travelers and pondered my own fate (" See Agent" for flight comments does not sound good).

Time passed and it appeared that any hope of departure was dwindling (fog). Time passed and little news was presented to us (all 1000+ travelers). It appeared that we were trapped. Out vehicles of freedom were present, or at least most of them (mine was in Pittsburgh, rerouted). I was not concerned since my departure had only been given a short postponement (20 minutes).

Hark. News had come at last. My carriage has left its forced exile and was on its way. Within a short while ( about a half hours) of this news, the craft had arrived. My quest would be able to continue. But, alas, it was not meant to be. The cloak of foul weather cast upon us worsened. Fear began to creep into the others ("Are we going to have to sleep here?", "What about my connecting flight?"). Those that guided us on our journey used their great powers of divination (phones, computers) to quell the growing fear. Time passes and a new threat was upon us: starvation. Many flocked to gather food, fearing that they may be trapped forever (very long lines at overpriced "restaurants"). I, prepared for a short journey, only had meager supplies (water a fruit snacks a meal it does not make). I was able to survive for sometime, but the going hunger began to overwhelm me (fruit snacks are not filling). My instincts took over and I began a new quest; a quest for food.

I wandered the fear, anger, and hunger drenched enclosure for food. I could smell my prey, but it seemed so far off (long line). But, I glimpsed my elusive prey (an overpriced hotdog). I had began to circles and preparing to pounce, when news came that the prey I longed for has become extinct (sold out). My stomach protested, but I could not satisfy it. I began to regress to my ancestral culture and became a gatherer of fruits and nuts (fruit bars and mixed nuts), but these bits of nourishment would not settle well in my stomach. During this quest for food, I had removed myself from the relative safety of our shared shelter (Gates 15, 16, and 18). I was disappointed to discovered that food had been brought in by those that controlled our grounded chariots of freedom (They brought boxes of "Chex Mix-like" snacks).

My short quest for food had ended without success. I was destined to live my remaining days on my stash of food. Exhaustions had begun to take its toll. I began to wish that any hope of departure would be removed and I could try to return to my warm hovel. News from other charioteers had reached us; those that elected to travel with them had lost all hope (Northwest and US Airways cancelled several flights). But, good news at last! The ones we have pinned all of our hope upon have returned. For most, this news had brought joy; we will be leaving ("You will be leaving even if it is at 11pm tonight. We need to clear these gates for the morning flights.") Many were overjoyed, but some were not so happy. One of these epic journeys came to an end this evening (Flight 263 as cancelled). Others had difficult choices to make: either be trapped in this foodless environment or travel to another such shelter to wait for different vehicles to travel upon to complete their quest (People missed connecting flights and some of the continuing flights were cancelled). But, for me, the news was good (or bad since I really didn't want to go). My sky vehicle of freedom would be leaving tonight.

What seemed like a lifetime (about 5 hours), the maw of the great beast opened and we were allowed to enter. Many had hoped that this ritual of entry would be quick ("I think that anyone who takes more than a minute to find a seat should be kicked off!"). I found by place and prepared for departure. I hoped that others would not feel the need to be in my presence, but my wishes were not granted (Had a full row and was cramped). But my journey had begun. I watch as the great beast rose into the gloomy sky and was swallowed by the foul weather of delay.

Time passed and exhaustion took its toll. I tried to pass the time by diving into literature, but the long hours of wakefulness (up about 15 hours after 6 hours of sleep) had caused. I chose the best position available to me (it would have been comfortable if I was a contortionist). Sleep evaded me though. Each time I was able to finally reach for it, the man behind with disease chased it away (the guy behind me hacked up a lung and shook my seat every time I was about to fall asleep. That Fucker!).

My long quest end finally. I dragged by body and belongings from the quiet sky beast stable to retrieve my steed (rental car). I was concerned that the stable master would not be available, but I was fortunately. I entered a stable that rivaled all stable (The rental center. Huge! All car rental agencies that were in the airport were here now. A Three store building about the size of the Galleria!). I chose my steed, a young colt (New Nissan Altima, so new it doesn't have license plates). I rode my steed to find the inn that I would be staying in until I returned. I left my steed in the stable, while I consulted with the inn keeper. Moments later, I had entered my room (What a room! It's a suite with a kitchen/living room and a separate bathroom, two tvs, vcr, free wireless internet, refrig/freezer, Microwave, stove, dishwasher. Sweet Suite! I'll take pictures). I store my belongings, grabbed my steed and began to forage for food to satisfy my hunger (24 hours McDonalds, next best thing since sliced bread!). Sleep finaly overcame me (at about 6am Buffalo time; 4am here).

I know record my adventure after only a small amount of rest (my professor called my at 9am asking my I wasn't in Tomstone. :evil: ). Part of my journey has been ruined (good thing! I didn't feel like driving 3 hours both ways to Tomstone to walk around a watershed anyway). I have stocked some beverages and will be settling in to prepare for the purpose of my quest (the BLM workshop). I am pleased that this inn has been equipped with an instantaneous letter transportation system (I have internet access. :jump: ).

Farwell
The Traveler of Pointless Quests (Why the hell am I here and not my professor?!)
"Nothing brings out the zest of life in a person like the thought of their impending death." - Johnny, the Homicidal Maniac

Look at all the pretty colors. It's like someone slit the throat of a baby rainbow.

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:01 am

Ahhh a true Odyssey... My trips were uneventful... I was in a 5 seat plane (per row) and lucked out to get the side with only 2 seats ... I got women both ways who weren't young ... but were at least friendly and pleasant and was not overly cramped, although if I had had my last pay check or taxes I would have bumped up for Biz Class... only $50.... each way ... With that deal, and their decent pricing ... I might be travellin Airtran more often. Our landings, however, rivalled Disney rides. there were an unseemly number of hard banks and a lot of free-fall time and rollercoaster like bobbing ... the actual touch-downs were fine ... but the last several hundred feet were ... annoying.... All my trip stress and probs were finding a way to and from Rochester ... prolly the last time I will do that .... :-) ... Luckily between Kristin and Celeste I was able to get there and home .... Wedding was great and all went well ....
"I'm waking up to ash and dust,
I wipe my brow and I sweat my rust.
I'm breathing in the chemicals.." --ID
------------------------------------------------------
"Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
we were all equal in the end." --PF